Monday, February 28, 2011

Hope Springs Eternal

'Tis the season of rain, hope y'all are enjoying it from the comfort of your house (and/or cubicle.)  While it is easy to sag with the weather's gloom, it's also countered by the facts that the days are getting longer and the ground warmer.  All good signs that gardening season is dead-ahead!

My name is Zach, and I'm a serial planter.  A year ago, I bought a bunch of tomato and pepper seeds to grow in my garden.  As I love to grow things, I planted way too much and, on a lark, decided to sell some on Craigslist.  That endeavour went much better than I ever thought possible and have amped my efforts and seed varieties for 2011.  I aim for heirlooms and uncommon varieties first and foremost.  I figure if you want a 'Beefsteak', 'Sun Gold', or 'Better Boy' tomato, you can easily buy one at any garden store.  I'm after varieties like Homer Fike's Oxheart, Amish Gold, Yellow Trifele, Vintage Wine, Cour di Bue, Hawaiian Pineapple, and many other types of uncommon tomatoes.  For peppers, Manzano, Bhut Jolokia, Purple Jalapeno, Yellow Hinkelhatz, Tobago, Aji Lemon, White Habanero, and Peter Peppers are more my style.  I'll post the full list later this week, as these are just a sampling.

This blog is meant both as a catalyst to sell my extras, as well as to offer some insight to anyone else that is interested in gardening in general.  This is by no means to say that I'm the most knowledgeable lad on the planet - far from.  However, I've acquired a bit of knowledge over my brief lifetime and I want to share some results that I've found.  Knowledge is always a work in progress, and hopefully this blog will push that quest forward.

In addition to gardening, you might find a post about random pop-culture events or some other whimsical item that tumbled thru my mind.  My hope is to keep it entertaining and a fun place to visit.

Some upcoming topics to look for - tomato and pepper varieties, seed starting mediums, seed starting techniques, and grafting tomatoes.  Again, these will be more about what I've learned than being an 'authority' on the subject.

Thanks for dropping by and I look forward to having you back!

cheers,
Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment