Friday, April 22, 2011

Record Portland Heat Wave

Well, it's a record for 2011, anyway.  Today was absolutely beautiful.  Sunny, kinda warm, and most importantly - no rain!  Tomorrow looks to be even better.  What a lovely way to spend a Saturday - basking in sun.

***

I often find myself in either garden stores or home improvement stores.  I'm either buying soil or buying stuff to spare my plants from the rain and frost.  I ought to buy stock, as I'm probably responsible for their gains this spring. 

This week, I had made a plan to build a PVC greenhouse frame.  As I was inspecting plastic, I began inadvertently jostling 10' pipe lengths with a guy that was working on a similar project.  As we did a our little dance of grabbing a pole without smacking the other, we started talking about - what else - the weather. 

It turns out he volunteers at an organic farm that supplies fresh produce for Portland-area restaurants.  He said that they are at 50% production this year, compared to normal levels.  On top of that, he had kept weather records in garden logs for the past 30 years and he said that 2011 is the wettest and coldest he has recorded.  In addition to that, my nursery friend is 50% off from normal sales as well. 

Granted, it's somewhat anecdotel evidence without seeing the actual numbers, but I had no reason to distrust either person.  They seem very level-headed and not for much hyperbole.  Whether or not it has been the coldest and/or wettest, I think we can all agree that it's been a miserable spring for gardening. 

Yet, all that can go away with a couple of nice days of sunshine.  Even if the rain looks like it will return next week, that grand day of 70 degree sun is gonna be great.

So...what are you going to do with your Klondike bar of a day?  How about shopping for plants?  I hear Winona Farms has a great selection going on right now.  Lot's of tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, tomatillos, herbs, onions, greens, and more.  Besides, you can see what all my investments in Lowes and Home Depot has been good for - all 5 of my greenhouse-like structures.  It's like a science experiment in the back yard.  Seeing which structure does the best and doesn't succumb to the weather.  Good Fun!

If you are feeling a plant shopping spree coming on, I'm located on the 5900 block of Taylors Ferry.  Take peek at the Craigslist ads for the peppers and tomatoes.  Email me if you are interested in plants - winonafarms@gmail.com

Peppers
Tomatoes

Take care, people.  Enjoy the sun.
cheers,
zach

No comments:

Post a Comment