Saturday, April 9, 2011

Scorching Sun!

Even though it barely broke 60 today, it was absolutely beautiful.  The kind of day that gives a Portlander hope that something other than wind, rain, hail, and snow can be bestowed upon us.  Rumour has it that the next one comes sometime in July.  I can't wait!

While the sunshine was heavenly, it didn't come without some unforseen consequences on my plants.  After barely staying above freezing  the past couple nights (32.3 at 6 this morning), my starts got the other end of the spectrum in short order.  I built a temporary 'greenhouse' using a 4'x8' piece of plywood, pvc hoops stretched over top, and plastic cover.  Basically, a miniature polytunnel.  It was cheap ($20) and easy (constructed in about 2 hours) and had thus far served it's purpose wonderfully. 

My plants had been very happy underneath the plastic, as they kept out of the rain and most of the wind (I only have remay at the ends of the tunnel to keep air flow in tact.)  That is, until we got a full sunny day.  That polytunnel must have heated up like those old Apollo re-entry capsules.  About 20 plants got fried - all in one spot, curiously.  The plastic must have been stretched so that it magnified the sun in that spot.

At first, I thought it was a partial freeze out, but it didn't make sense that that would happen in the middle of all the plants.  Then I saw the 'high' temperature for my other greenhouse.  94 degrees!  Yikes!  That's steamy, but luckily it had the benefit of a fan to keep the air moving briskly.  The polytunnel had no such instrument to move the air, except for any wind that might blow.  In addition, I placed the polytunnel in the spot of the garden that gets the most sun.  Every other day this year, that was ideal to catch the fleeting 10-15 minute sun-breaks.  Not so much today.  It was a pressure cooker. 

I got home pretty late, so I didn't have time to check out exactly how many plants burned up or even which ones.  I just hope I didn't wipe out a full variety.  That would suck.

Anyway, just another thing to learn along the way.  I never had thought that I could utter the phrase that we got 'too' much sun...unless its the final test to get my official 'Grumpy Old Farmer' card.  I guess it shows that you just never know.

***
Despite those burned up plants, I've still have plenty available.  Here are the various Craigslist ads.
Greens, herbs, etc http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/grd/2314325604.html
Tomatoes & peppers - http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/grd/2313860362.html
Grafted tomatoes - http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/grd/2313440910.html

Cheers to a beautiful day - hope the weekend is good for y'all.
Zach

1 comment:

  1. The air in a protected tunnel in full sun will get very hot very quickly. But you know that now.

    ReplyDelete