Tuesday, March 13, 2012

...And, We Are Live, People!

Phew - finally finished!  Please check out my brand-spanking new website at winonafarms.com.  Probably will be tinkering with it here and there, but for the most part, I'm pretty happy with it.  It's been 15 years since I did any kind of web-design work (back in college!  EGAD!)  Things have changed a bit since then, but I was able to pull somethings together to make them work out to my liking.  Sorry for the smartphone/tablet people, probably not real 'mobile' friendly.  I'll make sure that's a go for next iteration.  For now, I hope you can enjoy the pretty tomato pictures and my new favorite font - Nyala.

***

So, looks a little wet outside, eh?  And windy?  Well, yes.  It blew the top off one of my poly tunnels.  Thankfully, not to much damage occurred, and the plants made it thru okay.  Better than that 27 degree freeze last week.  Damn!  That's a bit chilly.  Lost a few flats of plants that morning.  Such is life, I suppose. 

Before all this rain hit, we did get an excellent weekend of sunny and fairly warm weather.  Keep in mind, we didn't get one of those days until the end of April last year - and it was only 1 day!  It was a gift to get 2 back-to-back in the middle of March.  It took full advantage by planting peas, potatoes, strawberries, carrots, radishes, beets, and onion starts.  Always good to get the first seeds of spring into the ground.

I mail-ordered a whole bunch of strawberries (80 plants!) of four varieties - Hecker (day-neutral), Tillamook, Benton, & Shuksan.  Not only am I looking forward for the bounty of fruit, I plan on potting up the daughter plants for sale in 2013.  I'm quite interested in the Hecker variety.  It supposedly is a heavy producer of large fruit over the season.  Time will tell, but I'm excited about the tasty berries!

***

I'll have my stand up at Barbur World Foods later this week.  Looking forward to getting some plants into peoples gardens.  Lot's of good looking greens and brassicas are ready for transplant.  I've also got a few other things I'm working on.  One of which is helping the Neighborhood House in Multnomah Village.  Details on that in a few weeks, but I'm very excited about this opportunity.

Hope all is well and your hatches have been battened down tight to wait out the weather.  Take care!

cheers,
zach

No comments:

Post a Comment