Friday, March 2, 2012

Saturday is Market Day

Wow!  It seems like it was only 2 months since I last posted!  Sheesh, how time flies.  Lot's of great stuff is happening here at Winona Farms.  Lots of herbs are growing, albeit slowly, and the lettuce, brassicas, onions, and strawberries are ready to be planted.  We are getting oh so near that magical point of the year where it's more light the dark during the day, which means time change is around the corner.  Spring ahead!

Saturday marks another great rite of spring passage - my first market day of the year!  I'll be selling starts in Sandy from 10am-3pm in the AEC Building, 39085 Pioneer Boulevard, Sandy, Or.  I can't wait!  Since it's in a building, I don't have to worry about the rain, which is a big relief for me and the market-goers.  Definite win-win for all.

Here is sample of what I'll have available:  Onions (bunching, red bulb, yellow bulb, & sweet varieties), alpine strawberries, rhubarb, chard, kale, cauliflower, broccoli, mustard greens, various lettuces (letti?), rosemary, Greek oregano, winter savory, chives, artichokes, lemon mint, peppermint, catnip, and whole garlic bulbs.  Lot's of yummy stuff, for sure.

However, the best sign of spring?  I start planting tomatoes and peppers next week!  That's the fun stuff for me.  As much as I like growing EVERYTHING, I get my biggest thrills out of the tomatoes and peppers.  Lot's more grafting this year, both tomatoes and eggplants.  Once again, I'll have a lot of variety.  If there is something you are interested in, there is a good chance I'll be growing it, or at least have a good comp variety for it.

Take care, everyone!  Welcome to March!

Cheers,
Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment