Thursday, March 24, 2011

Braving the Unknown (to me)

Well, I broke down.  I'm now a Facebook member.  You can find me at Winona Farms Plants.  After years of resistance, I caved, but only in pursuit of selling plants.  I'm not sure how facebook will help me do that, as I'm not really trying to find my plants a quick hook-up or their long-lost classmates, but I'm sure the Social Network will eventually show me the light.

I'm happy to report that the greenhouse modifications have improved the climate inside quite profoundly.  By digging out some dirt so that it wasn't on blocks - thereby eliminating the cold under-draft - has brought the temperature up 7-8 degrees above the outside temp.  This is a huge boost because it has dipped down into the mid 30's a few times the past week.  Yet, the greenhouse hasn't gotten below 43 all week - my tomatoes and peppers are loving that extra bit of protection.  Combined with a small fan I always have on, the plants are quite happy in the humid environment (between 75-95% all the time.)

There are still a few gaps on the bottom I'll fill in with some dirt this weekend.  That may add another degree or two.  Also, I have the cords for the lights and the fan going in thru the door, which leaves a slight gap at that corner that cool air can come in.  I think I can re-route those undeneath the frame and improve the overnight temperature even more. 

All in all, I'm quite please with how the structure has performed.  For just randomly trying something that I wasn't sure would work, it's been a blessing.  Last year, I was constantly bringing tray upon tray of starts up the stairs in the morning and then back down at night.  Having a protected place to keep them outside makes my knees and feet so much happier.  I just need two more of them. 

Why two more?  Have I told you that I'm a serial seed buyer?  Yes?  Well, I plant a lot of seeds as well.  And now - LOTS OF PLANTS!  I'm updating the current plants at top.  These are all hardened off and they are ready to find purchase in some good gardening soil.  Won't you give them a home?  Email me if you are interested!  winonafarms@gmail.com

Oh, and pay a visit to my facebook page...leave a funny comment on my wall, as the kids are wont to do.  If you make me LOL, I'll give you a free grafted tomato!

cheers,
Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment