Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Grafting Tomatoes

After a few rounds of practice, I think I've gotten the hang of tomato grafting.  I'm lucky in that they are remarkable resilient plants and no matter what amount of tomato blood I spill, they seem to battle back to become stronger.
Cour Di Bue Single Graft
Cour di Bue/Yellow Brandywine Double Graft
These poor plants couldn't have looked worse.  I thought for sure that the two double grafts I did would fail, and the single grafts weren't much better.  These pictures are about 2 weeks old, and they're hardly recognizable to what they look like now.







It's amazing, really, to see the improvement.  All that growth happened over the past 7 days, as the previous 7 were spent inside a healing chamber as the graft began to take hold. They are quite the amazing plant.

So, now that I'm one small step above a greenhorn tomato grafter, what varieties would you want to see on a single plant?  Here are a couple of my initial thoughts on the varieties I will be growing this year.
First off, the obvious ones:
1) Yellow Trifele/Japanese Black Trifele
2) Amish Gold/San Marzano Redorta
3) Yellow Brandywine/Vintage(striped brandywine)
4) Ildi/Black Cherry/Rosalita/Cluj (various cherry combos)

But, what about the most shocking pairs?
1) Black Krim/Homer Fikes Oxheart
2) Yellow Brandy/Black Cherry
3) Marvel/Cream Sausage

What do you guys think?  How crazy can you get?  What combos make your mouth water?

Cheers,
zach

No comments:

Post a Comment