Monday, March 14, 2011

Tired Eyes!

It's been quite a weekend.  I am nearly finished building my little greenhouse/cold frame for my plants.  The rain held off for a couple hours on Sunday so I grabbed it while the getting was good.  I'm excited to be using that instead of a porting plants up and down the stairs continuously.  I'll post a picture of it in the next day or two. 

We had a chicken get sick over the weekend as well.  As they are more pets than farm animals, she was immediately brought to the avian doctor.  Though my dad laughs at all the money we put into those birds, they did give my wife and I a great deal of enjoyment.  You can't put a price on that, but I suspect he understands that as well.

I got to spend the early part of Sunday with Dean Simpson, the man behind Wildcat Mountain farms.  He's been incredibly generous with his knowledge and expertise and has done nothing but to encourage this obsession of mine.  His operation up near Sandy leaves me drooling.  An enormous seed room, hot house, poly tunnel, and a covered nursery all combine for a rigorous start of a seedlings life.  Of course, it didn't happen overnight, so perhaps in 10-15 years, I'll have something like that as well.  I only hope that the mountain of knowledge Dean possesses comes with it.  If you want to check out his plants, you can find them at Peoples Coop (3029 SE 21st Ave) or the Urban Farm Store (2100 SE Belmont).  He's has a great selection and has outstanding stock.

I've still got some veggie starts available.  Feel free to contact me for anything you see at the top of the page - winonafarms@gmail.com.

It's time to wrap this weekend up.  Let's do this FEZ style - I bid you GOOD DAY! 

Cheers,
Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment